Thursday, March 31, 2022

1 Nephi 4

(All of my own thoughts are in blue type. red 4/20 Green 1/21 orange 3/22 Brown 2023)

CHAPTER FOUR
Nephi slays Laban at the Lord’s command and then secures the plates of brass by stratagem—Zoram chooses to join Lehi’s family in the wilderness. Between 600 and 592 B.C.

  1 And it came to pass that I spake unto my brethren, saying: Let us Nephi was inviting…let “us” go…not “ok, you idiots…I’ll do it!” go up again unto Jerusalem, and let us be afaithful in keeping the commandments of the Lord; being faithful is “persisting" at trying to keep the commandments. Nephi and his brothers “failed” twice, but they were faithful as they kept trying until the Lord gave them success. for behold he is mightier than all the earth, then why not bmightier than Laban and his fifty, yea, or even than his tens of thousands? Nephi counters the murmurings of his brothers on the level they were at…uses reason. Notice also he doesn’t say, “I know God can…I just don’t know if He will”  …he knew God had commanded them to get the plates and would not let them fail. Don't forget the angel just told them God would deliver Laban. Nephi KNOWS they won't fail.
  2 Therefore let us go up; let us be astrong like unto Moses; when we are familiar with the scriptures, we can draw on them for strength and faith. It's interesting that he characterizes Moses as strong. Was it because Moses stood against Pharaoh, who was certainly "mightier" than Laban! Proverbs 24:10 If thou faint in the day of adversity, thy strength is small. Duet 11:Therefore shall ye keep all the commandments which I command you this day, that ye may be strongHere's evidence Moses was strong...for he truly spake unto the waters of the Red bSea and they divided hither and thither, and our fathers came through, out of captivity, on dry ground, and the armies of Pharaoh did follow and were drowned in the waters of the Red Sea. See how powerful “remembering” is in strengthening your faith? Another example of someone who knew God had commanded him to free Israel and would not just let them be destroyed. Moses was also told before hand that he would be able to command the waters, so he would not doubt when they were pinned against the sea. Moses 1:25 And calling upon the name of God, he beheld his glory again, for it was upon him; and he heard a voice, saying: Blessed art thou, Moses, for I, the Almighty, have chosen thee, and thou shalt be made stronger than many waters; for they shall obey thy command as if thou wert God.
  3 Now behold ye know that this is trueapparently they had never questioned the reality of this historical event and ye also know that an aangel hath spoken unto youWe should feel as certain when a prophet speaks to us…by the power of the Holy Ghost  wherefore can ye bdoubt? Let us go up; the Lord is able to cdeliver us, even as our fathers, for God is no respecter of persons…if he did it for them, he can do it for us and to destroy Laban, even as the Egyptians. The language of faith… “is” not “can” or “may”.  I love it! Interesting that he says “can destroy Laban” when he ends up killing him. Was “the way” God provided dictated by Nephi’s frame of reference? He had already thought about God's way being that Laban would be killed. Probably just didn't think he'd be the one to do it.
  4 Now when I had spoken these words, they were yet wroth,(angry, worked up) perhaps this is because they did not have confidence that the Lord would help them “in” their sins…while Nephi was confident always before the Lord because of his righteousness and did still continue to murmur; nevertheless they did follow me why did they go, yet still go murmuring? It's hard to give up ALL your sins...up until we came without the walls of Jerusalem. 
  5 And it was by night; and I caused that they should hide themselves without the walls. And after they had hid themselves, I, Nephi, crept into the city and went forth towards the house of Laban. No casting lots here…only one with faith can be “led”…
  6 And I was aled by the Spirit, not bknowing beforehand the things which I should do.  This seems to be how the Lord operates in our lives. But the word “led” suggests you are moving in a direction…given you. Even though he didn’t know what lay ahead, he still knew he was being led by the Spirit. He was not walking blindly or alone. Elder Bednar gives a powerful testimony about what it means to live "in the Spirit" 


  7 Nevertheless I went forth This needs to be how we respond, and as I came near unto the house of Laban I beheld a man, and he had fallen to the earth before me there was no struggle here…God literally delivered Laban into his hands, for he was adrunken with wine. Laban chose to drink that night. God just used his weakness to accomplish His purposes.
  8 And when I came to him I found that it was Laban.
  9 And I beheld his asword, and I drew it forth from the sheath thereof; and the hilt thereof was of pure gold, and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine, and I saw that the blade thereof was of the most precious steel. Nephi knew something about metals…I also picture him, in his youthful mind, being fascinated by weapons, saying, “wow…look at this cool sword!” I wonder why this was his first thought...to draw out his sword? Was it for protection in case Laban roused? Was it is "boyish" fascination with weapons?
  10 And it came to pass that I was aconstrained (“compelled, forced, obliged”) by the Spirit that I should kill Laban; but I said in my heart: Never at any time have I shed the blood of man. And I shrunk this shows Nephi was not attracted to the sword because of thoughts of slaying Laban, or power, or any such thing…just it that it was a fine weapon, or for self protection. and would that I might not slay him.
  11 And the Spirit said unto me again: The first time he doesn’t quote the Spirit, but it must have said, “Take the sword and kill Laban.” Behold the aLord hath bdelivered him into thy hands. As the angel promised  Yea, and I also knew were the following things he knew testified to him by the Spirit, or was he using his own reasoning? that he had sought to take away mine own life he was justified by the law; yea, and he would not hearken unto the commandments of the Lord; and justified by the Lord and he also had ctaken away our property. Was death a punishment for stealing?
  12 And it came to pass that the Spirit said unto me again: Slay him, for the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands; Here is “the way” that He has provided.  Another lesson – If God is able to do ALL things, why did he provide THIS way?  Certainly it is not the “way” of choice for Nephi, yet he yielded to the reassurances of the spirit and obeyed, even though it was not “his own will”. If you had been taught all your life, "Thou shalt not kill", does this moment present a divine paradox? Don't...but you can if...  I think that can be supported in the scriptures.
  13 Behold the Lord aslayeth the bwicked to bring forth his righteous purposes. Seems to be saying, "God kills", so it's not an absolute black and white commandment. It is cbetter that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in dunbelief. God can do all things but does not violate agency. One possibility is that God knew if Laban lived, he would not only not give up the plates but he would pursue Lehi's family. The loose end is that with Laban's death, the only ones that knew what was happening were the servants that pursued Nephi and his brothers. But maybe they took the wealth of Nephi's family as their own and kept their mouth shut and didn't tell Laban they had gather it so they also could not tell about Lehi's disappearance or they'd have to explain their newfound "wealth". 
  14 And now, when I, Nephi, had heard these words, I remembered the words of the Lord which he spake unto me in the wilderness, saying that: aInasmuch as thy seed shall keep my bcommandments, they shall cprosper in the dland of promise.
  15 Yea, and I also thought that they could not keep the commandments of the Lord according to the alaw of Moses, save they should have the law. He must believe that the oral passing on of the law would not hold power through time.
  16 And I also knew that the alaw was engraven upon the plates of brass.
  17 And again, I knew that the Lord had delivered Laban into my hands for this cause—that I might obtain the records according to his commandments.
  18 Therefore I did obey the voice of the Spirit, and took Laban by the hair of the head, and I smote off his head with his own asword. This is a pretty severe and dramatic “first killing” and for one so young. Also, if this “exchange” with the Spirit was done all “in his head” and there was no audible voice or presence…how confident Nephi must have been in knowing these were not just his own thoughts, but an actual direction from the Lord.  We must develop that same confidence.
  19 And after I had smitten off his head with his own sword, I took the garments of Laban wouldn’t there be blood from cutting off his head? How did he keep it from getting on the clothes? and put them upon mine own body; Either Nephi was very big for his age (he says he’s “large in stature” or Laban was a small man In a recent Book of Mormon Central video, they said that the average Jew back then was only about 5'2 yea, even every whit; and I did gird on his armor about my loins. Wouldn't he have to had disposed of the body somehow? How would he do that? Why did no one see any of this? Lots of miracles taking place here...lots of continued faith that God would provide all the circumstances needed to do this.
  20 And after I had done this, I went forth unto the treasury of Laban. And as I went forth towards the treasury of Laban, behold, I saw the aservant of Laban who had the keys of the treasury. And I commanded him in the voice of Laban, that he should go with me into the treasury. Did Nephi know he was speaking “in his voice” or did Zoram tell him later? Was he just a good impersonator or did the Lord make his voice sound like Laban’s to Zoram only?
  21 And he supposed me to be his master, Laban, for he beheld the garments and also the sword girded about my loins. No mention of “his voice”…  I just read about Abraham being fooled by Jacob to think he was Easu because he had on his clothes and fake hairy arms, even though his voice was Jacob's. 
  22 And he spake unto me concerning the aelders of the Jews, he knowing that his master, Laban, had been out by night among them.
  23 And I spake unto him as if it had been Laban. I wonder what that conversation went like…
  24 And I also spake unto him that I should carry the engravings, which were upon the aplates of brass, to my elder brethren, who were without the walls. Not a lie…
  25 And I also bade him that he should follow me. Which he should… Why did he ask him to follow him? Did the Spirit direct this? Was he worried about him telling others once he knew Laban was dead?
  26 And he, supposing that I spake of the abrethren of the bchurch, and that I was truly that Laban whom I had slain, wherefore he did follow me.
  27 And he spake unto me many times this should make Nephi nervous, for how long could he carry on a conversation, making it up as he went? concerning the elders of the Jews, as I went forth unto my brethren, who were without the walls. Zoram seems to have been pretty comfortable with conversation with Laban, considering he was a servant. If he knew him that well, he certainly knew he was a wicked man too. May explain why he so willingly went with Nephi, if he was a good man.
  28 And it came to pass that when Laman saw me he was exceedingly frightened, and also Lemuel and Sam. And they fled from before my presence; for they supposed it was Laban, and that he had slain me and had sought to take away their lives also. You can hear them now…”I knew Nephi couldn’t do it…see we were right…that angel was wrong….This is a perfect example of how often our "stories" are negative and not true.
  29 And it came to pass that I called after them, and they did hear me; wherefore they did cease to flee from my presence. Surprise….no more voice of Laban…
  30 And it came to pass that when the servant of Laban beheld my brethren he began to tremble, and was about to flee from before me and return to the city of Jerusalem. Now it is Zoram who is surprised…
  31 And now I, Nephi, being a man large in stature, and also having received much astrength of the Lord, always acknowledge the Lord…therefore I did seize upon the servant of Laban, and held him, that he should not flee.
  32 And it came to pass that I spake with him, that if he would hearken unto my words, as the Lord liveth, and as I livevery very binding oath even so that if he would hearken unto our words, we would spare his life.
  33 And I spake unto him, even with an aoath, that he need not fear; that he should be a bfree man remember…he had been the servant of Laban like unto us if he would go down in the wilderness with us. Was this “believe me…or die…”? Or "come with us and be a free man or return and continue to be a servant, or maybe even worse, be accused of killing Laban"?
  34 And I also spake unto him, saying: Surely the Lord hath acommanded us to do this thing; and shall we not be diligent in keeping the commandments of the Lord? Therefore, if thou wilt go down into the wilderness to my father thou shalt have place with us.
  35 And it came to pass that aZoram did take courage at the words which I spake. Was there a part of Zoram that had sensed Jerusalem’s impending doom?  Why so quick to believe? Now Zoram was the name of the servant; and he promised that he would go down into the wilderness unto our father. Yea, and he also made an oath unto us that he would tarry with us from that time forth. He must have been single, with no family?
  36 Now we were desirous that he should tarry with us for this cause, that the Jews might not know concerning our flight into the wilderness, lest they should pursue us and destroy us. This is why Nephi asked him to follow him out of the city to his brothers. Wondering how know one knows they left yet...
  37 And it came to pass that when Zoram had made an aoath unto us, our bfears did cease concerning him. Integrity such is not seen in our world today…
  38 And it came to pass that we took the plates of brass and the servant of Laban, and departed into the wilderness, and journeyed unto the atent of our father. No going back for any supplies, clothes, tents etc for Zoram? Or even the riches that Laban had stolen. They truly left it all behind. Zoram also came, we assume, with no supplies, so the family of Lehi had to absorb him in to their sleeping arrangements and food and supplies etc.  There is a possibility that the phrase "and it came to pass" means that they might have taken some time to gather provisions for Zoram...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to add to the discussion with honest, but positive, faith-promoting comments. All other comments will not be posted.