Saturday, May 21, 2022

2 Nephi 33

(All of my own thoughts are in red type.5/20 green 2/21 Orange 5/22Brown 2023)

Chapter 33

Nephi’s words are true—They testify of Christ—Those who believe in Christ will believe Nephi’s words, which will stand as a witness before the judgment bar. About 559–545 B.C.

  1 And now I, Nephi, cannot write all the things which were taught among my people; neither am I amighty in writinginteresting self evaluation. I wonder what his standard is? Isaiah?  like unto speaking; for when a man bspeaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men. He seems to be crediting his 'mighty speaking' ability to the gift to speak by the power of the Holy Ghost. Certainly he must have felt he was writing by the power of the Holy Ghost or it wouldn't be scripture. Maybe he's talking about his own words that he uses to recount their history and not the words the Lord gives him directly. Or is there something more powerful about hearing the word spoken than reading it? Maybe reading is more dependent upon the reader than the writer...
  2 But behold, there are many that aharden their bhearts against the cHoly Spirit, that it hath no place in them; wherefore, they cast many things away which are written and esteem them as things of naught. This is his explanation about the difference... When we refuse to study/read the scriptures is it because our hearts are hard? Are we guilty of casting them away because we don't think they are 'that' important or relevant? Is an indifferent heart the same as a hard heart?
  3 But I, Nephi, have written what I have written, and I esteem it as of great aworth, and especially unto my people. For I bpray continually for them by day, and mine ceyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cryNephi believes in constant prayer. He also knows we must pray in faith that God hears and answers and cares. Notice Nephi prays out of compassion, not anger. He can also pray in faith because he's seen the future. Does that still take faith? 
  4 And I know that the Lord God will consecrate my prayers for the gain of my peopleI don't know if this applies only to him because he is a prophet or if it is because he has stewardship. If it is the latter, then it applies to parents who pray for their children. Prayers matter. Remember in the last chapter he said not to pray without asking that it be consecrated for your welfare.  And the words which I have written in weakness will be made strong unto them; 'them' meaning 'his people' No matter what our weakness is, God can turn it to good for it

apersuadeth them to do good; it
maketh known unto them of their fathers; and it
speaketh of Jesus, and
persuadeth them to believe in him, and to
endure to the end,
which is life beternal.

This is a wonderful pattern for our personal journals!
  5 And it speaketh aharshly against sin, according to the bplainness of the truth; wherefore, no man will be angry at the words which I have written save he shall be of the spirit of the devilThis sounds harsh, but the reality is, that if you read these things and do not believe them, a spirit of the devil is whispering things in your ears and you are believing that spirit and then you are 'of' that spirit.
  6 I aglory in bplainness; I glory in truth; I glory in my Jesus, for he hath credeemed my soul from hellWhy not be plain? Why not speak truth? The reality that we were all lost without Jesus is truly the 'good news!'
  7 I have acharity for my people, and great faith in Christ that I shall meet many souls spotless at his judgment-seatNephi makes the sacrifice to write this record and teach his people and spend all his strength in prayer for them because of his charity and great faith in Christ. There will always be a long line of people wanting to thank him! Believe we can be 'spotless' through Jesus Christ! Imagine standing "spotless" at the judgment-seat! How great will that feel? 
  8 I have charity for the aJew—I say Jew, because I mean them from whence I came. His charity goes backwards and forward
  9 I also have charity for the Gentiles. But behold, for none of athese can I hope except they shall be breconciled unto Christ, and enter into the cnarrow dgate, and ewalk in the fstrait path which leads to life, and continue in the path until the end of the day of gprobationThere truly is NO OTHER WAY! I believe the "gate" is the baptism of water AND of the Spirit. Truly "few there be that find it". Why? I haven't found it yet either. I'm beginning to panic about that... I need to find it soon!
  10 And now, my beloved brethren, and also aJew, and all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words and bbelieve in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall cbelieve in Christ ye will believe in these dwords, for they are the ewords of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they fteach all men that they should do goodThere is a wonderful movement right now among the Jews to convert their own people to believe in Christ. Notice it is important first to believe in Christ - then you will believe in the Book of Mormon. I support these Jews in their ministry.
  11 And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you, with apower and great bglory, that they are his words, at the last dayI am SO praying that this 'last day' show of Power and Great Glory that the Book of Mormon is true is before the Millennium! and you and I shall stand face to face before his barI'm excited to think that I shall stand face to face with Nephi:) If you think of a real trail/court, Nephi would be called as a witness to the stand and testify that he wrote these words and that we had them and they are from God and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these things, notwithstanding my weaknessGod commands us all to keep his commandments, 'notwithstanding our weakness'. And we can do 'all things through Christ' which strengthens us in our weakness. Yesterday in GC they talked about being yoked with Christ. I had the image of a literal yoke with Christ in one yoke and me in the other. Even though He is stronger than I, I still have to pull evenly with His strength to move the load. I can only do that if He makes me strong. But does he make me strong, or does He send 'ministering' angels or brothers or sisters to get behind me and help me pull and together we equal the strength of Christ? We then become "proxy" saviors for each other. It represents our baptismal covenant to help carry each other's burdens. Deut 22:10 Thou shalt not plow with an ox and an ass together. 

12 And I pray the Father in the name of Christ that many of us, if not all, may be saved in his akingdom at that great and last dayBe assured there really IS going to be a great and LAST day. Do not procrastinate the day of your repentance!

13 And now, my beloved brethren, all those who are of the house of Israel, and all ye ends of the earth, I speak unto you as the voice of one acrying from the dust: Farewell until that great day shall come.

14 And you that will not partake of the goodness of God, and respect the words of the aJewsthe Bible. Remember they had the Brass Plates (OT) and also my bwordsBook of Mormon and the words which shall proceed forth out of the mouth of the Lamb of Godare these additional words? the words He gives during His mortal life and after His resurrection when He appears to the Nephites? Words to all the prophets through the ages? the words that come to you personally after your baptism by fire? behold, I bid you an everlasting farewell, for these words shall ccondemn you at the last dayIt doesn't seem fair that these words can condemn those who never had them. This is one of the reasons that I think a great awakening and conversion is coming. It is possible, though, that he is only speaking to those that have received the words and rejected them.

15 For what I seal on earth, shall be brought against you at the ajudgment bar; for thus hath the Lord commanded me, and I must bobey. Amen. Nephi had sealing powers. He also literally sealed the Book of Mormon - at least the last part. These last few words are the perfect summary of his life and should be put on his tombstone = "For thus hath the Lord commanded me, and I must obey."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to add to the discussion with honest, but positive, faith-promoting comments. All other comments will not be posted.