Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Words of Mormon

 (All of my own thoughts are in red type.5/20 Green 3/21 Orange 6/1 Brown 2023)

The Words of Mormon

Chapter 1

Mormon abridges the large plates of Nephi—He puts the small plates with the other plates—King Benjamin establishes peace in the land. About A.D. 385. 

 1 And now I, Mormon, being about to deliver up the arecord which I have been making into the hands of my son Moroni,  behold I have witnessed almost all the destruction of my people, the Nephites. Sometimes I like to read the end of a book before I start, or read a little of some of the chapters ahead. Here, Mormon kind of does that for us. He’s at the end of the story, but we are only at the beginning. We now get to read the rest of the book with a new context...how it ends. How will that change what we understand about what we read? In this first statement he shares that the end of the story for the Nephites, who began in such favored conditions, was destruction. We need to learn why, so we can avoid the same ending. Don’t think it can’t happen just because you feel “all is well in Zion”. Elder Christofferson  gave a talk Oct 2020 about sustainable societies. There has been some criticism for his talk because he gave a positive nod to the UN 2030 Agenda which I believe is a precursor to a New World Order designed by the adversary. I didn't worry about it too much because he taught that the only truly sustainable society was one founded on Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is the guidebook for what we need to do to pass on the values and beliefs necessary to sustain righteousness. 
   And it is many hundred years after the coming of Christ that I deliver these records into the hands of my son; and it supposeth me that he will witness the entire destruction of my people.  But may God grant that he may survive them, that he may write somewhat concerning them, and somewhat concerning Christ, that perhaps some day it may profit them. "Them" seems to refer to the Nephites. I trust that Mormon believes that there are many of his seed that will continue on, either because they joined the Lamanites or they had moved away...(some think to Europe) 
   3 And now, I speak somewhat concerning that which I have written; for after I had made an abridgment from the pates of Nephi, down to the reign of this king Benjamin, of whom Amaleki spake, I searched among the records which had been delivered into my hands, and I found these plates, which contained this small account of the prophets, from Jacob down to the reign of this king Benjamin, and also many of the words of Nephi. I have never thought of this before, but as Mormon is searching these records, he is reading them much like we are.  He is probably 600 years apart from when they were written.  How much of this can he possibly already know? It's probably just an oral history for most people. They might just have the basics like we do about our founding fathers, but not the inner stories. He's choosing what to include form the past to teach the lessons he can see are needed to sustain a righteous society and also anything that testifies of Jesus Christ - the foundation of all true sustainable societies.  Was he calling Enos, Jarom, Omni and those writers prophets?  Certainly Jacob was, and Enos but it doesn't seem the others so much.  Maybe that's why he calls it "small"...
   4 And the things which are upon these plates apleasing me, because of the prophecies of the coming of Christ; and my fathers knowing that many of them have been fulfilled; yea, and I also know that as many things as have been prophesied concerning us down to this day have been fulfilled, and as many as go beyond this day must surely come to pass - this is why it's of value to us!
   5 Wherefore, I chose athese things, to finish my brecord upon them, which remainder of my record I shall take from the cplates of Nephi; and I cannot write the dhundredth part of the things of my people.
   6 But behold, I shall take these plates which contain these prophesyings and revelations, and put them with the remainder of my record, for they are choice unto me; and I know they will be choice unto my brethren. In a future day. I hope this study journal will be "choice" to my posterity as well. 
   And I do this for a wise purpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me.  And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord knoweth all things which are to come; wherefore, he worketh in me to do according to his will. Here is a great example of trusting the "whisperings" of the Spirit, even if we do not understand them completely. Trust in the Lord! I want to be able to say that the Lord works in me or moves me to do according to His will.
   8 And my prayer to God is concerning my brethren, that they may once again come to the knowledge of God, yea, the redemption of Christ; that they may once again be a delightsome people.
   
And now I, Mormon, proceed to finish out my record, which I take from the plates of Nephi; and I make it according to the knowledge and the understanding which God has given me.
 
10 Wherefore, it came to pass that after Amaleki had adelivered up these plates into the hands of king Benjamin, he took them and put them with the bother plates, which contained records which had been handed down by the ckings, from generation to generation until the days of king Benjamin.
 11 And they were handed down from king Benjamin, from generation to generation until they have fallen into amy hands. And I, Mormon, pray to God that they may be preserved from this time henceforth.  And I know that they will be preserved; for there are great things written upon them, out of which my people and their brethren shall be judged at the great and last day, according to the word of God which is written.
 12 And now, concerning this king Benjamin—he had somewhat of contentions among his own people.
 13 And it came to pass also that the armies of the Lamanites came down out of the aland of NephiSo the path back to the land of Nephi was known to both peoples to battle against his people. But behold, king Benjamin gathered together his armies, and he did stand against them; and he did fight with the strength of his own arm, with the bsword of Laban. When was the last time a governmental ruler went to battle themselves...never!
 14 And in the strength of the Lord they did contend against their enemies, 
until they had slain many thousands of the Lamanites. And it came to pass that they did contend against the Lamanites until they had driven them out of all the lands of their binheritance.
 15 And it came to pass that after there had been false Christs, and their mouths had been shut, and they punished according to their crimes; Did these "false Christs" claim to be Christ? The promised Christ? Or just someone to follow instead of Christ? How were their mouths shut? From being in prison? death? God? 
 16 And after there had been false prophets, and false preachers and teachers today we call that 'mis;- or 'dis'-information.  It comes from media, government, deep state, business, science and is spread via the internet among the people, and all these having been punished according to their crimes; and after there having been much contention and many dissensions away unto the Lamanites, behold, it came to pass that king Benjamin, with the assistance of the holy prophets who were among his people - Again we see references to prophet(s) Who were these people? I think it is all those who had received the baptism by fire and the Holy Ghost. One of the gifts of receiving that is the gift of prophecy. 
 17 For behold, king Benjamin was a holy man, and he did reign over his people in righteousness; and there were many holy men in the land, and they did speak the word of God with power and with authority; and they did use much sharpness because of the stiffneckedness of the people - Is “holy man” a calling or a spiritual level of attainment?  Where are the "holy men"  who speak the word of God with "power and authority" today? I don't hear "much sharpness" and we certainly are a "stiff-necked" people! I am praying that we soon see a fulfillment of 1 Nephi 14: And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth; and they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory. -  where this power descends on many in the church so we can truly be "armed with righteousness and power". We must rend this "veil of unbelief" and cry out for this gift. Is it reserved for the "men" in the church? Or will women be a part of this? This has been quoted several times in GC as if it's being fulfilled, but I see a deeper more observable meaning yet to come...
 18 Wherefore, with the help of these, king Benjamin, by laboring with all the might of his body and the faculty of his whole soul and also the prophets, did once more establish peace in the land.  I love how these holy men dedicated their lives to correct the false beliefs and traditions of their people.  And they succeeded!  They were able to speak the word of God with power and with authority and use much sharpness because of stiffneckedness.  I think we need that in our day! Unfortunately I think they wouldn't be accepted in our day.  Too much political correctness and sensitivity training has taken place.  Actually, I think many would respond, if truly taught "with power and authority". Those who receive this heavenly gift do not fear man.  Perhaps when this happens and they being preaching like this, that is what brings on the prophesied persecution of the saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to add to the discussion with honest, but positive, faith-promoting comments. All other comments will not be posted.