Monday, September 26, 2022

3 Nephi 9

 (Marci - redKathy - green Marci-blue 2020 orange 2021 brown 2022/23)

Chapter 9

In the darkness, the voice of Christ proclaims the destruction of many people and cities for their wickedness—He also proclaims His divinity, announces that the law of Moses is fulfilled, and invites men to come unto Him and be saved. About A.D. 34. Chapter 9 is short, but all of it, in my opinion, is ministering of Christ, by His voice, to the survivors.
  1 And it came to pass that there was a avoice heard among all the inhabitants of the earth, upon all the face of this land, crying: This is Him speaking. For verses 3-10, He is ministering to their needs by informing them of the extent of the destruction, which they haven't seen yet, because of the darkness. I think this is to prepare them for what they will soon see, and why it was done.
  2 Wo, wo, wo unto this people; wo unto the inhabitants of the whole earth Is there significance to 3 wo's for "this" people and 1 wo for the whole earth? Does it have to do with the knowledge they had received and rejected vs. the rest of the world? except they shall arepent; for the devil blaugheth, and his angels rejoice, because of the slain of the fair sons and daughters of my people; and it is because of their iniquity and abominations that they are fallen! Satan laughs at our destruction after he deceives us into following him. He does not support us or deliver us from the judgments of God. No ability to save. This is why the "great and spacious building" in Lehi's dream has no foundation. It will not support us in the end. If the devil really had power and could receive honor for that power, he would deliver those who follow him from God's judgments. But his goal is only to destroy souls by keeping them from God. He cares nothing for mankind and can only deliver misery. As we minister, we need to expose Satan and his traps and deceptions and help others see that salvation is only in and through Jesus Christ.
 3 Behold, that great city Zarahemla haveaburned with fire, and the inhabitants thereof.
 4 And behold, that great city Moroni have I caused to be asunk in the depths of the sea, and the inhabitants thereof to be drowned.
 5 And behold, that great city aMoronihah have I covered with earth, and the inhabitants thereof, to hide their iniquities and their abominations from before my face, that the blood of the prophets and the saints shall not come any more unto me against them.
 6 And behold, the city of Gilgal have I caused to be sunk, and the inhabitants thereof to be buried up in the depths of the earth;
 7 Yea, and the city of Onihah and the inhabitants thereof, and the city of Mocum and the inhabitants thereof, and the city of aJerusalem and the inhabitants thereof; and bwaters have I caused to come up in the stead thereof, to hide their wickedness and abominations from before my face, that the cblood of the prophets and the saints shall dnot come up any more unto me against them.
 8 And behold, the city of Gadiandi, and the city of Gadiomnah, and the city of Jacob, and the city of Gimgimno, all these have I caused to be sunk, and made ahills and valleys in the places thereof; and the inhabitants thereof have I burie up in the depths of the earth, to hide their wickedness and abominations from before my face, that the blood of the prophets and the saints should not come up any more unto me against them.
  9 And behold, that great city Jacobugath, which was inhabited by the people of king Jacob, have I caused to be burned with fire because of their sins and their awickedness, which was above all the wickedness of the whole earth, because of their bsecret murders and combinations; for it was they that did cdestroy the peace of my people and the government of the land; therefore I did cause them to be burned, to ddestroy them from before my face, that the blood of the prophets and the saints should not come up unto me any more against them. Here, Jesus reinforces the truth that secret combinations are what destroy governments and peace. Hello.... This makes me think that when nuclear bombs fall, they need to fall on the centers of the sex traffickers...Notice that Jesus is clear that HE is the one that caused all this prophesied destruction.
 10 And behold, the city of Laman, and the city of Josh, and the city of Gad, and the city of Kishkumen, have I caused to be burned with fire, and the inhabitants thereof, because of their wickedness in casting out the prophets, and stoning those whom I did send to declare unto them concerning their wickedness and their abominationsGod himself sends people to warn others to repent. When they say "repent or be destroyed" they are prophesying, which makes them a prophet. These are the people that were cast out and stoned for their testimonies. Will we see that again in our day? I think so. 
-Zarahemla, Jacobugath, Laman, Josh, Gad and Kishkumen are all destroyed by fire
-Moroni is sunk into the ocean.
-Moronihah is covered up with earth.
-Gilgal, Gadiandi, Gadiomnah, Jacob, and Gimgimno, are all sunk into the earth.
-Onihah, Mocum and Jerusalem are all flooded and covered with water. 
I wonder if there will be a list one day that the Savior might describe to survivors in the land of our day--Chicago, New York City, Boston, Albany, Los Angeles, Denver, Detroit, etc.  Add to this list of natural disasters in Nephi's day, the plagues, famines, etc., and it will probably be much longer than these 16 cities.
Notice the list of destruction is much more detailed by the Lord than in the previous chapter. It must have been important to Mormon to have this part detailed twice to impress upon our minds the reality and magnitude of the destruction that took place - a forewarning for our day...
 11 
And because they did cast them all out, that there were none righteous among them, I did send down afire and destroy them, that their wickedness and abominations might be hid from before my bface, that the blood of the prophets and the saints whom I sent among them might not cry unto me cfrom the ground against themNotice the righteous were either cast out, or murdered or removed by God so just like in the days of Noah, none righteous were left and all could be destroyed. We are told our day will be "as in the days of Noah" as well, so I expect that before the final "burning" all the righteous will be gathered out so that there are "none righteous among" the wicked. 
 12 And amany great destructions have I caused to come upon this land, and upon this people, because of their wickedness and their abominations These things were done to hide the wickedness and abominations of the people, and so that the blood of the prophets and saints would not cry out anymore against the people. He says this each time; that HE caused all this destruction and death to come upon the people BECAUSE of their wickedness and for killing, stoning, or casting out the saints and the prophets. 
 13 O all ye that are aspared because ye were more brighteous than they, will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may cheal youNotice that the people spared were only "more righteous" and still needed to return and repent and be converted and healed. They had much progress to make, but were still spared. This should give us hope. Now, he ministers to their spiritual needs and invites them to let Him heal them by repenting and coming unto Him. They have no idea what kind of miraculous healing and blessings he has in store for them!! 
 14 Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will acome unto me ye shall have beternal life. Behold, mine carm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto meNotice the invitation is always to come, receive mercy, and be blessed. It's not about condemnation, but about committing to change and receive Christ. Anyone can come. There are no restrictions as to who is worthy of His mercy. As we minister, we should not be selective or judgmental about who might respond to the invitation.  How could they refuse after what they've been through!
 15 Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God. I acreated the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are. I was with the Father from the beginning. bI am in the Father, and the Father in me; and in me hath the Father glorified his nameOur goal in this life is to live a life "in" the Father and the Son.
 16 I came unto my own, and my own areceived me not. And the scriptures bconcerning my coming are fulfilledALL His words will be fulfilled. Know what they are. Have faith in them. 
 17 And as many as have received me, to them have I agiven to become the sons of God; and even so will I to as many as shall believe on my name, for behold, by me bredemption cometh, and cin me is the dlaw of Moses fulfilledNotice that even though we are all spirit sons and daughters of God, that we must each "become" sons of God again. We do that by letting the natural man die with Christ and arising anew in Christ. I have to think that "believing" in Him, is more than just saying that you do...
 18 I am the alight and the life of the world. I am bAlpha and Omega, the beginning and the endChrist stays true to His manner of teaching by relating truth to tangible and current circumstances. They have just experienced darkness as they have never known it. No matter how they might try, they could not produce light. They could see nothing on their own. Then Christ comes and says, "I am the light". Just like the woman who came to the well to draw water so she would not thirst, and Jesus says "I am the water." We can minister by really seeing what people care about and relating the gospel to their lives personally. Christ identifies Himself to the masses throughout the land, who are remaining.  It is still dark.
 19 And ye shall offer up unto me ano more the shedding of blood; yea, your sacrifices and your burnt offerings shall be done away, for I will accept none of your sacrifices and your burnt offerings. They have been taught for centuries that they must keep the law of Moses until Christ fulfills the law. Well...He did. It is finished. Does this verse confirm that the Nephites practice the blood sacrifices as the Jews did? We sure don't read about it like we do in the Bible....
 20 And ye shall offer for a asacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I bbaptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not Notice that while we are baptized by water, by one given authority, Jesus is the one who baptizes with fire.  He also lets them know that there will be no more blood sacrifices, because of what He's done, and He explains the new sacrifice that will be required. I wonder why he gives the example of the Lamanites here.... Why did the Lamanites know it not? Was it not a singular "experience" to be baptized with fire? Did they know it not because they didn't recognize it or because they didn't know what to call it? I tend to believe the latter, but I don't know. Still not sure why he brings up this example. If He is going to baptize them with fire and the Holy Ghost "even as the Lamanites" is He saying they also will know it not? Or is He telling them so they will recognize it or know what to call it? Such a mystery...What Lamanite conversion story is He referring to here? Is it the one where Lehi and Nephi were in prison and the walls came down and they conversed with angels and the Lamanites prayed til they had faith in Christ and had a miraculous conversion? Did these Lamanites not "know" what had happened to them because they had not been taught about it?
 21 Behold, I have come unto the world to bring aredemption unto the world, to save the world from sin. He tells of the Redemption He has just performed for all mankind.
 22 Therefore, whoso arepenteth and cometh unto me bas a clittle child, him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God. Behold, for such I have dlaid down my life, and have taken it up again; therefore repent, and come unto me ye ends of the earth, and be saved. It is not enough to just approach the Savior. We must come to Him AS a little child. If we must first die in Christ, then we must be raised up as little children first - willing to submit to all the will of the Father as a child submits to his father.  We minister always in response to the will of the Father. Before He stops to let them think, He invites them to repent and come unto Him. I think we must not take lightly what it means to come before the Lord "as a little child - willing to submit". It is hard as an adult to truly say to the Lord, I will "submit" to whatever you would have me experience to know you and to prove my loyalty. We all want to stay comfortable and we fear saying this will move us out of that comfort zone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to add to the discussion with honest, but positive, faith-promoting comments. All other comments will not be posted.