Friday, April 22, 2022

2 Nephi 4

(All of my own thoughts are in blue type. red 4/20 Green 1/21 Orange 4/22 )|

CHAPTER 4

Lehi counsels and blesses his posterity—He dies and is buried—Nephi glories in the goodness of God to him—Nephi puts his trust in the Lord forever. Between 588 and 570 B.C.

  1 And now, I, Nephi, speak concerning the prophecies of which my father hath spoken, concerning aJoseph, who was carried into Egypt. Just an interesting, side-note...I read a commentary that suggests that perhaps Lehi's two youngest boys were twins. The reason is that Lehi named them Jacob and then Joseph. If he only had one son, and either didn't know if he'd have any more children, or didn't know if it would be a boy, he would have probably named the first son Joseph, considering how profound his feelings were towards Joseph, having discovered his genealogical connection to him. But if he had twins, then it would make sense that he named the first Jacob (the father of Israel) and the second Joseph (through whom those promises come to Lehi). It doesn't really matter, except to give extra props to Sariah (if it is true) for having carried, then given birth, then cared for TWINS in the wilderness!
 2 For behold, he truly prophesied concerning all his seed. Do we know these prophesies? And the aprophecies which he wrote, there are not many greater. And he prophesied concerning us, and our future generations; and they are written upon the bplates of brass. Again…Lehi and Nephi looked upon the brass plates like we do the Book of Mormon, feeling that it was written for THEIR day. Clearly, Lehi and Nephi both spent time reading their scriptures; so much so that they could cite them and testify of what they contained. 
  3 Wherefore, after my father had made an end of speaking concerning the prophecies of Joseph, he called the children of LamanLehi seems to be following the ancient pattern of seeing his posterity in "tribes". Instead of speaking to all of his grandchildren as one group, he speaks to them according to their fathers. his sons, and his daughters, and said unto them: Behold, my sons, and my daughters, who are the sons and the daughters of my afirst-born, I would that ye should give ear unto my words. I like that he still refers to Laman as his first-born. No matter is actions, Lehi uses this title to remind him that he is his first born and the responsibilities that go with that. One can always change. As much teaching and pleading that Lehi has done to Laman throughout their years, he now looks to Laman’s children and asks them to listen to their Grandfather. Perhaps there is a chance they will skip over the incorrect teaching of their father and give heed to their grandfather. (My mother always used to say that "you never know how good a parent you were until you see your grandchildren".) Lehi, however, has seen they eventually fall away and then the restoration of this tribe. Thus, he leaves them the best blessing that he can. He starts with this promise of hope:
  4 For the Lord God hath said that: aInasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall prosper in the land; and inasmuch as ye will not keep my commandments ye shall be cut off from my presence. An appeal to them through “prosperity” perhaps...since Laman may have passed on his feelings about "stuff" to his children... But then, with a direct tie to the source of that blessing.
  5 But behold, my sons and my daughters, I cannot go down to my grave save I should leave a ablessing upon you; for behold, I know that if ye are bbrought up in the cway ye should go ye will not depart from it. A Bible promise…Prov. 22:6 contained on the brass plates, most likely. Now...here's my question on this one. Surely Lehi brought up Laman and Lemuel in the "way they should go"...but they DID depart from it...So where is the promise here? Is it in the next life? Elder Orson F. Whitney made this comforting statement:  “The Prophet Joseph Smith declared—and he never taught more comforting doctrine—that the eternal sealings of faithful parents and the divine promises made to them for valiant service in the Cause of Truth, would save not only themselves, but likewise their posterity. Though some of the sheep may wander, the eye of the Shepherd is upon them, and sooner or later they will feel the tentacles of Divine Providence reaching out after them and drawing them back to the fold. Either in this life or the life to come, they will return. They will have to pay their debt to justice; they will suffer for their sins; and may tread a thorny path; but if it leads them at last, like the penitent Prodigal, to a loving and forgiving father’s heart and home, the painful experience will not have been in vain. Pray for your careless and disobedient children; hold on to them with your faith. Hope on, trust on, till you see the salvation of God.” 8  Maybe their repentance is complete when the covenants to their children are fulfilled and the curse they passed on is lifted leaving no more evidence of the effects of their sins.
 6 Wherefore, if ye are acursed, either because your parents DO NOT bring you up in “the way ye should go” or if you rebel against it…. behold, I leave my blessing upon you, that the bcursing may be taken from you maybe this is where the above promise comes in to play...and be answered upon the cheads of your parents. Looks like Lehi believed it would be because of the parents...who are surely listening to this and not taking it well...The ultimate separation from God is at the judgment day. Perhaps he is saying here, that if children are not brought up in the way of the Lord, they will not be cut off from God at the judgment day, but will be given mercy and the Atonement of Christ which overcomes the 'effect' of sin - meaning their actions that are the 'effect' of their parent's teaching. 
  7 Wherefore, because of my blessing which Lehi had "obtained" the Lord God will anot suffer that ye shall perish; wherefore, he will be bmerciful unto you and unto your seed forever. Really? Just because of Lehi’s blessing?  Is this a favor the Lord grants Lehi because of Lehi’s faith and love? If so...there is MUCH a parent/grandparent can do for their children in spite of their choices:)
  8 And it came to pass that after my father had made an end of speaking to the sons and daughters of Laman, he caused the sons and daughters of Lemuel next tribe to be brought before him. Were these private meetings? Or were they just brought to the front of the tent...
  9 And he spake unto them, saying: Behold, my sons and my daughters, who are the sons and the daughters of my second son; behold I leave unto you the same blessing he could have addressed both Laman and Lemuel's children as a group, but chose to group them by family which I left unto the sons and daughters of Laman; sounds like they could hear the first blessing wherefore, thou shalt not utterly be destroyed; but in the end thy seed shall be blessed. Now…Nephi’s seed do not receive this blessing. Is it because they WERE brought up in the ways of righteousness and DID rebel? So it’s not the “parents” fault? Did the children have any reaction to the statement "not utterly be destroyed"? 
  10 And it came to pass that when my father had made an end of speaking unto them, behold, he spake unto the sons of aIshmael, yea, and even all his household. No record of his blessing...
  11 And after he had made an end of speaking unto them, he spake unto Sam, no children yet? saying: Blessed art thou, and thy aseed; for thou shalt inherit the land like unto thy brother Nephi. And thy seed shall be numbered with his seed; and thou shalt be even like unto thy brother, and thy seed like unto his seed; and thou shalt be blessed in all thy days. No promise to his seed….
  12 And it came to pass after my father, Lehi, had aspoken unto all his household, according to the feelings of his heart and the Spirit of the Lord hence the reason he could make such promises and they would be honored… which was in him, he waxed bold. And it came to pass what was the time frame here? I was picturing Lehi "on his deathbed", but maybe he didn't wait that long? that he died, and was buriedThis whole passage has inspired me to write my "dying" message to my children (and update it through the years) for them to have...just in case I die suddenly and don't have this opportunity that Lehi had to speak the things of his heart to his children and grandchildren. Haven't done that yet. My father wrote each of his children a letter and tucked it away to be given to us after he died. Mine is very special to me, as he called me the "Joseph" of my family. I need to try better to fufill his dying wish...still haven't done it:( Still haven’t done it but it’s now on my master “to do” list...2023, still haven't done it; back on the master list
  13 And it came to pass that not many days after his death, Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael were aangry with me because of the admonitions of the Lord. Ugh….here we go….since they waited until Lehi died, it makes me think that the blessings were given shortly before he died, or I don't think Laman and Lemuel could have held in their anger for very long...
  14 For I, Nephi, was constrained to speak unto them, according to his word; for I had spoken many things unto them, and also my father, before his death; many of which sayings are written upon mine aother plates; for a more history part are written upon mine other plates.  I struggle to keep one journal...Nephi is keeping two! on plates of metal...that he has to make himself. Truly I am left without excuse:(
15 And upon athese I bwrite the things of my soul,beautiful expression! Where do you share the "things of your soul? In prayer? In music? To a friend or spouse? Remember, Nephi has just lost his father, whom he must have loved very much! It is a tender time for him, and he is most likely feeling very emotional and raw. We should read these words in that context and feel a great compassion for his grieving heart. It is a natural time to feel closer to the things of eternity 
Perhaps I should just share this blog with my children. It contains many of the things of my soul...after this time through the Book of Mormon I will have it printed and bound in a book(s), ok, one more time through, then print and many of the scriptures which are engraven upon the plates of brass. For my soul cdelighteth in the scriptures, and my heart dpondereth them, and writeth them for the elearning and the profit of my children. This begins what is called “The Psalm of Nephi” which is seen as a source of strength for any who want to serve the Lord but feel weighed down by weakness. Does your soul delight in the scriptures? Do you ponder them "in your heart"? Do you share them with your children in a way that they learn from them and "profit" from them?
  16 Behold, my asoul delighteth in the things of the Lord; Do you “delight” in the commandments and your knowledge of the Lord? and my bheart pondereth continually How do you ponder “continually”?  Our thoughts are ALWAYS running…do you direct them or let them go where they will?   upon the things which I have seen and heard.  Just because you have a vision, that doesn't mean you understand all of it. Nephi ponders continually his visions and surely grows in his understanding as he does so. 
 17 Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great agoodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, he truly has been shown MUCH my heart exclaimeth: O bwretched man that I am! Yea, my heart csorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities. This is how we may feel when we compare our desires with our actual works. Joseph Smith made this statement:
 "The nearer man approaches perfection, the clearer are his views, and the greater his enjoyments, till he has overcome the evils of his life and lost every desire for sin; and like the ancients, arrives at that point of faith where he "is wrapped in the power and glory of his Maker and is caught up to dwell with Him." In this life? In the flesh? Baptism of Fire? Second Comforter? Now he makes it sound like the "change" is a process - 'nearer', 'clearer', 'til, 'arrives', 
  18 I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily abeset me. What are these?  Not being helpful? Compassionate?  Perhaps Nephi is commenting on his disappointment to his own reaction to the impending demise of his family. He recognizes the temptation to be angry, impatient, unkind, proud...not necessarily that he acts on the the temptation, but that he feels it so easily. "beset" means: to attack on all sides; assail; harass
  19 And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; nevertheless, I know in whom I have atrusted. We trust the Love of God and the Atonement of His Son empowers us to "act" righteously" even though we may "feel" differently.
  20 My God hath been my asupport; “In all thy ways, acknowledge him…” he hath led me “and he will direct thy paths for good” through we all eventually get “through” our afflictions. Notice Nephi doesn't accuse God of taking him "into" his afflictions. They were just trials. But He recognizes God's help and support in seeing him "through" them mine bafflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me We could have died… upon the waters of the great deep.
  21 He hath filled me with his alove,  charity even unto the bconsuming of my flesh. It is a physical knowing…like a "burning in the bosom" Baptism of Fire?
  22 He hath confounded mine aenemies, too bad he’s referring to his own brothers here…unto the causing of them to quake before me.
  23 Behold, he hath heard my cry our prayers; asking by day, and he hath given me aknowledge by bvisions in dreams? receiving...was this the main way his revelation came in the night-time.
  24 And by day have I waxed bold in mighty aprayer have you learned to speak boldly before the Lord? before him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and ministered unto me. Literally? Or in his dreams?
  25 And upon the wings of his Spirit hath my body been acarried away upon exceedingly high mountains. Are these visions during sleep or waking? And mine eyes have beheld great things, yea, even too great for man; therefore I was bidden that I should not write them. Darn…some things are too sacred to share...we have to receive them for ourselves.
  26 O then, if I have seen so great things, if the Lord in his condescension unto the children of men hath avisited men in so much bmercy, cwhy should my dheart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow, and my flesh waste away, and my strength slacken, because of mine afflictions? God is sooo merciful in spite of our weakness.  This is why you can focus on gratitude in spite of your weakness. Nephi also teaches that, even though one may receive great spiritual knowledge, he is still subject to the temptations of this world and may yield to them from time to time. He is also showing us that he received these things from God without being perfect.
  27 And why should I ayield to sin, we sin because WE YIELD to it…here he is calling "sin" the temptation to sin, not the act itself  because of my flesh? We must master the flesh. Yea, why should I give way to btemptations, that the evil one have place in my heart just because Satan comes tempting you doesn't mean you have to pull up a chair for him and ask him to stay and visit! to destroy my cpeace and afflict my soul? Why am I dangry so anger is one of his weaknesses.. because of mine enemyhis brothers often tempt him to be angry. Is he calling his brothers his enemy or Satan?
  28 Awake, my soul! Sometimes you just have to SHAKE yourself out of your negative thought patterns. Hear his powerful self-talk that follows! No longer adroop in sinthe tempting thoughts and feelings to sin or the memory of past sins Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the benemy of my soul. He tells himself what he doesn't want and then replaces that with what he does want. Now the enemy is called the "enemy of my soul" which is certainly Satan.
  29 Do not aanger He tells himself, "I am CHOOSING not to be angry!" again "You might have given in to anger last time...but let's choose different this time..." because of mine enemies. Satan and those who yield to him Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions."Don't justify your anger telling yourself it's THEIR fault." Quite the pep talk to himself! Now he will tell himself exactly what he SHOULD do. It is not necessary that he FEEL like doing it, just CHOOSE to do it anyway.
  30 Rejoice, O my aheart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; the “praising all the day long” method works…. yea, my soul will "faith" language rejoice in thee, my God, and the brock of my salvation. After praising and giving thanks, then he feels he can ask...
  31 O Lord, wilt thou aredeem my soul? Hasn't he already received this promise? Maybe not. If not, there is something to learn here...  If so, is he doubting it?  Wilt thou deliver me out of the hands of mine enemies? Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of bsin? He never wants to be “past feeling”. He's asking to "shake" at the first tempting thoughts and emotions.
  32 May the gates of hell be shut continually before me, because that my aheart is broken and my spirit is contrite!  This is required for the baptism of Fire...A state we must always be in…for it is our broken heart (trained to yield to obey) and contrite spirit (quick to recognize and repent) and the power of the atonement that shuts the gates of hell. O Lord, wilt thou not shut the gates of thy righteousness before me, that I may bwalk in the path of the low valley, that I may be strict in the plain road! Exact obedience. It has been said, "to almost live the commandments is to almost receive the blessings."
  33 O Lord, wilt thou encircle me around in the robe of thy arighteousness! O Lord, wilt thou make a way for mine escape before mine benemies! Wilt thou make my path straight before me! Wilt thou not place a stumbling block in my way—but that thou wouldst clear my way before me, and hedge not up my way, but the ways of mine enemy.
  34 O Lord, I have atrusted in thee, and I will btrust in thee forever Total trust!. I will not put my ctrust in the arm of flesh;especially not my own flesh...for I know that cursed is he that putteth his dtrust in the arm of flesh. In what ways do you put your trust in man? in yourself? Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm. What does "maketh flesh his arm" mean? I did an internet search and came up with this  https://bycommonconsent.com/2004/03/23/the-arm-of-flesh/  and this https://mormonscholar.org/is-caffeine-against-the-word-of-wisdom/ that might help in my ponderings...
  35 Yea, I know that God will give aliberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I bask cnot amiss; we have to be careful of what we ask for…why? What happens if we ask 'amiss'? Do we invite false revelation? Are we cursed? Do we get what we ask for and suffer the consequences? therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the drock of my erighteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen. 
If you want to hear a beautiful interpretation of this Psalm of Nephi, listen to it here and follow along with these words:
I Love the Lord
I love the Lord, in Him my soul delights.
Upon His word, I ponder day and night.
He’s heard my cry, brought visions to my sleep,
And kept me safe o’er deserts and the deep.
He’s filled my heart with His consuming love,
And borne me high on wings of His great dove.

Yet oft I groan, “O wretched man am I”
My flesh is weak and I’m encompassed by
A world of sin, which holds me in it’s thrall,
If I give in and to temptations fall.
Then strength grows slack, I waste in sorrow’s vale;
My peace destroyed, my enemies prevail.
Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin.
Rejoice, my heart! And let me praise again,
The Lord my God, who is my rock and stay
To keep me strict upon His straight, plain way.
Oh let me shake at the first sight of sin
And thus escape my foes without and in.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to add to the discussion with honest, but positive, faith-promoting comments. All other comments will not be posted.