Monday, October 3, 2022

3 Nephi 16

(Marci-red; Kathy-green Marci blue 2020orange 7/21 brown 2022 /23

Chapter 16

Jesus will visit others of the lost sheep of Israel—In the latter days the gospel will go to the Gentiles and then to the house of Israel—The Lord’s people will see eye to eye when He brings again Zion. About A.D. 34.

  1 
And verily, verily, I say unto you that I have aother sheep, which are not of this land, neither of the land of Jerusalem, neither in any parts of that land round about whither I have been to minister.
  2 For they of whom I speak are they who have not as yet heard my voice; neither have I at any time manifested myself unto them. 
  3 But I have received a acommandment of the Father that I shall go unto them, and that they shall bhear my voice, and shall be numbered among my sheep, that there may be one fold and one shepherd; therefore I go to show myself unto themIs He still talking about the lost 10 tribes? Other worlds? It sounds like He has not spoken to them ever, not even through prophets. What would that first visit look like? I heard a quote once - "Service is the currency of the Celestial Kingdom." Service is ministering, and I'm so thankful for a Savior, who, through all of His experiences, still seeks the welfare of others--He ministered all of His life, ministered while in the Garden and on the Cross, ministered in the Spirit World, ministered to the people of the Americas, and here He tells them He's going to go minister to the other tribes. I can't wait to read their scriptures when they return! It will probably contain much of what we're reading in these chapters. I don't think they will have been as wicked a people as these had been, but we'll find out someday.
  4 And I command you that ye shall awrite these sayings after I am gone, that if it so be that my people at Jerusalem, they who have seen me and been with me in my ministry, do not ask the Father in my name, that they may receive a knowledge of you by the Holy Ghost, Here is an example of the Holy Ghost giving knowledge to people who do not have the "gift" of the Holy Ghost...or did they? If they were “with” Him in His ministry, surely they would have been baptized and received the Holy Ghost. Perhaps the “they” is not referring to all the Jews, but especially those who were with Him...like His apostles...and also of the other tribes whom they know not of, that these sayings which ye shall write shall be kept and shall be manifested unto the bGentiles, that through the fulness of the Gentiles, Do we know what the “fulness of the Gentiles is”? Have we received it? It doesn’t say the fulness of the gospel, but the fulness of the Gentiles the remnant of their seed, who shall be scattered forth upon the face of the earth because of their cunbelief, may be brought in, I think Isaiah says this is the “marvelous work and a wonder” and that it hasn’t happened yet and will be fulfilled through His “end time servant”  or may be brought to a dknowledge of me, their Redeemer. We are the Gentiles, by whom this knowledge will be given to those who have been scattered. Unbelief is the curse of this world. In our ministering, we must have eyes to see where the unbelief is in the lives of others and help them to repent. (change their view) Christ commands them to write down the promise that if the Jews don't ask Father to receive the knowledge of the American people/other tribes, that then these records will be kept and shared with the Gentiles, that a remnant of their seed may be brought to a knowledge of Christ. I am seeing more and more, the ministering that keeping a record is--something beneficial that people can see long after one is gone, that will inspire and help them to come to Christ. The scriptures are a form of ministering. Our journals are/will become a form of ministering.  I know that as I write down events, they are more permanently sealed in my heart, hopefully, for good!
  5 And then will I agather them in from the four quarters of the earth; notice He says “I” will gather them in. Does that “I” mean through His authority? through is “end time servant”? through the missionaries? through the work of the “nursing kings and queens”? and then will I fulfil the bcovenant which the Father hath made unto all the people of the chouse of IsraelOur prophet just encouraged the youth to join the “finest team” for “this final phase. Those noble spirits—those finest players, those heroes—are you!” he said. “I testify that the gathering is now, and it is real. Does the Lord have any covenants with those not of the House of Israel? If one can be adopted into the House of Israel, then is there any real distinction about who we are to gather? The gathering in of the House of Israel is the fulfilling of Father's covenant to them. Wait--then WE are, as the Lord's Battalion, being the instruments in Lord's hands in these final days before the Millennium, for that is what President Nelson said is the most important thing we can be doing right now! Up until now, it seems like Jesus has always referred to it as "His" covenant, but now He says it is His Father's covenant. Another example of Jesus doing the will of the Father in ALL things. Remember that we are children of our Heavenly Father and this world was created to fulfill His will and purposes for His children. Jesus Christ is commissioned to do the will of the Father in all things and give all the glory to Him. The Father (I think) gives us to Christ through His Atonement and our baptism. We become children of Christ as well and Christ will be our ruler on the earth through the millennium. 
  6 And blessed are the aGentiles, because of their belief in me, in and of the Holy Ghost, which bwitnesses unto them of me and of the Father. We are to be the 'believing Gentiles'. Notice we are to believe in Jesus AND the Holy Ghost. and the truths the Holy Ghost bears witness of.
  7 Behold, because of their belief in me, saith the Father, and because of the unbelief of you, O house of Israel, in the alatter day shall the truth come unto the bGentiles, that the fulness of these things shall be made known unto themIf we are those Gentiles then we ARE being blessed, and we are in these pages. It's like we play a dual role. We are Gentiles, but we are also the House of Israel.
  8 But wosaith the Father, unto the aunbelieving of the Gentiles— for notwithstanding they have come forth upon the face of this land, and have  bscattered my people who are of the house of Israel; and my people who are of the house of Israel have been ccast out from among them, and have been trodden under feet by them; (Think American Indians...)
  9 And because of the mercies of the Father unto the Gentiles, and also the judgments of the Father upon my people who are of the house of Israel, verily, verily, I say unto you, that after all this, and I have caused my people who are of the house of Israel to be smitten, and to be afflicted, and to be aslain, and to be cast out from among them, and to become bhated by them, and to become a hiss and a byword among themI think it's interesting that Blacks get so much attention for discrimination and oppression when this verse seems to be saying that it is the American Indians that have been the subject of great prejudice and affliction. They didn't suffer slavery, but they were moved onto reservations and have not prospered as a people like many other groups of people. But at least the reservations have helped them to retain their identity. I suppose he could be talking about the Jews too...but I don't think they've suffered at the hands of the American gentiles. Certainly the European Gentiles did this to the Jews during the Holocast...
 10 And thus commandeth the Father that I should say unto you: At that day when the Gentiles shall asin against my gospel, and shall reject the fulness of my gospel, and shall be blifted up in the pride of their hearts above all nations, and above all the people of the whole earth, and shall be filled with all manner of lyings, and of deceits, and of mischiefs, and all manner of hypocrisy, and murders and dpriestcrafts, and whoredoms, and of secret abominations; and if they shall do all those things, and shall ereject the fulness of my gospel, behold, saith the Father, I will bring the fulness of my gospel from among themI'm not sure if rejecting the fulness of the gospel means you have to have first accepted it, or if it just means that you reject it when it is offered to you... I hope it is the latter. It would be so sad to think He's talking about endowed members. We do know that our land is being run by secret combinations who do commit all the sins listed. How will it look when He brings the fulness of the gospel from among them? I don't think it means that He removes it from them, but He has faithful members bring the gospel to the Jews and the Lamanites. Define "the fullness of my gospel"...Pres. Nelson said the church has not been "fully" restored. I'm hoping that it means that when the Lord shows miraculously that He is the head of this church, that it has something to do with the "fulness" coming in. Perhaps new scripture. Perhaps mighty signs and miracles. Something that brings the knowledge of the fullness of the gospel to all Americans. Only then can they truly "reject" it. When my parents were on a mission in Philadelphia the church was still unknown by millions of people. That is not the same as rejecting it. The Book of Mormon Nephites had many many witnesses they had to reject before they were ripe for destruction. Wouldn't it be the same for us? These signs and miracles and revelations will confirm faith for the righteous to withstand the railings of those who reject it.  I have been listening to the Abraham Gileadi’s Isaiah in the Book of Mormon podcasts and he makes the case for the idea that it is the members of the church that are the Gentiles that reject the fulness of the gospel. I think Isaiah says that we’ll understand his words finally, when they are fulfilled. It seems like that is coming true...it does seem like many in the church are doing and believing things that more and more look like the world and less and less like faith, repentance and belief in the power of God to deliver. sigh.
 11 And then will I aremember my covenant which I have made unto my people, O house of Israel, and I will bring my gospel unto them. How does He do this? And is "them" the Jews? the American Indians? both?  the lost tribes? 
 12 And I will show unto thee, O house of Israel, that the Gentiles shall not have power over you; but I will remember my covenant unto you, O house of Israel, and ye shall come unto the aknowledge of the fulness of my gospelIf He's talking about the Jews then He may be referring to Armageddon. The Jews are saved by Jesus Christ himself and they do come to a knowledge of Him.  
 13 But if the Gentiles will repent and return unto me, saith the Father, behold  they shall be anumbered among my people, O house of Israel. Here is the principle of adoption. In the context of this teaching, it seems He is saying that we (members) have to repent from rejecting the gospel, which may mean, repent of the “traditions of men” that we have allowed to creep in, or from not having Christ as our foundation.
 14 And I will not suffer my people, who are of the house of Israel, to go through among them, and tread them down, saith the Father. Other scriptures prophesy that the Gentiles do not return and repent and are trodden down by the house of Israel. Is this accomplished by the Ten Tribes who return? I think Isaiah says it is done by ‘Assyria’ which may represent Russia and China...
 15 But if they will not turn unto me, and hearken unto my voice, I will suffer them, yea, I will suffer my people, O house of Israel, that they shall go through among them, and shall atread them down, and they shall be as salt that hath lost its savor, which is thenceforth good for nothing but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of my people, O house of IsraelThen, the Lord pronounces a wo, and these are solemn warnings.  By wickedness, the day of the Gentiles will come to an end, and the House of Israel shall go through among them and tread them down.  Those Gentiles who repent and come unto the Savior, will be numbered with the House of Israel. I think much of this will be fulfilled in our lifetimes, as this land is swept clean of all unrighteousness, before Christ comes.  It behooves us to lift the warning voice, and minister mightily to our families, particularly the ones who are straying off the covenant path, that for any hope of survival, those who will hear, must repent and come unto Christ.
 16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, thus hath the Father commanded me—that I should give unto athis people this land for their inheritance
 17 And then the awords of the prophet Isaiah shall be fulfilled, which say: He quotes Isaiah, who was given these words by Christ himself. So in essence, He's quoting Himself. Perhaps He wants us to know again, that the words spoken by the prophets are true and were given by Him. Particularly, Isaiah’s words....
 18 aThy bwatchmen shall lift up the voice; Good to know the watchmen clearly DO lift up the voice at some point; with the voice together shall they sing, for they shall see eye to eye when the Lord shall bring again ZionAs we minister, we "lift up our voices" and with the Spirit of God, we begin to "see eye to eye". In this unity, we will build Zion.  Or rather, “the Lord” shall bring again Zion. WE do not bring it. He does. I don’t think we can do it without Him.
 19 Break forth into joy, sing together, ye waste places of Jerusalem; for the Lord hath comforted his people, he hath redeemed Jerusalem.
 20 The Lord hath made bare his holy arm the word links in Isaiah reveal that this expression “his holy arm” is a person...the end time servant. He comes on to the scene and all the world knows of him. He is the one sent to “prepare the way of the Lord” like John the Baptist did with His first coming. in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of GodPerhaps this is what Pres. Nelson was referring to when he said, "Our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, will perform some of His mightiest works between now and when He comes again. We will see miraculous indications that God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, preside over this Church in majesty and glory." This is our day, this land will become the inheritance of many of the righteous of the House of Israel during the Millennium.  I've got to think that this land will be pretty well filled, as well as the Holy Land, if we count ALL the righteous of the descendants of Jacob/Israel, who have lived on the earth, now resurrected in the morning of the First Resurrection, "for they shall see eye to eye when the Lord shall bring again Zion."  To me, 'eye to eye' means like-minded.  These verses conjure up such joyful imaginings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to add to the discussion with honest, but positive, faith-promoting comments. All other comments will not be posted.